Monday, June 09, 2008

The Euro Effect

Tonight as I was leaving the office, my colleague Paola said to me, 'Hey, tonight on the way home you will experience the Euro Effect.'
Immediately thought that it was some kind of inflation, a road tax? an increase in the price of fuel?
In fact, Paola was referring to the strange phenomenon of finding the road home from Sesto empty at 745 at night. It is the same effect that caused there to be no queue in the supermarket at 715 when I entered.
The Euro effect in question is that of the Euro 2008 championships. Half of Florence had left their offices early in order to get home in time to eat, open the wine to breathe and watch the game.
After I parked the car (in the blue line parking outside my door - unheard of! more people away for watching the footy! - I could see the strange green glow in the street - the TVs of every house in town tuned into RaiUno for the start of the game.
Imagine my horror at the final result - 3-0 to Holland. Not only is this a tragedy for the nation of football lovers, and my colleagues who are as poassionate about the game as they are about anything, but also for me.
The Euro effect meant that I was able to shop, drive home and park outside the house all in under 45 minutes. I was hoping to wallow in the emptiness for more than just the 2 remaining group games!
To Italia, in bocca al lupo for the remaining games!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well written, i am becoming passionate about this blog..reading florence trough the eye of an "alien".

Good Job Jo.