Friday, November 03, 2006

Liquidity

I am pretty solvent as students go, mainly long-term liabilities, and not too much short-term debt. (Spot the A/B accounting student!)
So I was a little alarmed when my Bancomat card – our cashpoint in Italy – stopped paying out.
LA CARTA E PRIVA DISPONIBILITA the machine helpfully pointed out. (The card is not available). No clue as to why.
This morning however, I have found the answer.
Doing some long overdue filing at home I came across that bit of paper that comes with bankcards that no-one ever reads. (Or at least, I never read).
It helpfully tells me in miniscule print that I am limited to taking out Euros 1000 a month, regardless of the amount of money actually in the account.
Which I suppose is a good thing, a sort of forced fiscal responsibility.
But it wasn’t that helpful when I needed to eat on October 29th.
Like so many things here, now that I have found out, I know and I can deal with it accordingly. But up until then, ignorance can be far from bliss.

No comments: