Saturday, February 02, 2008

Pruning the olive tree


Today, back home in Marche, I decided that the time had come to give the olive tree in my garden a good trim. I googled for tips on pruning, and came to the conclusion that there is no standard way to do it. It seems to depend on the country, the location, the gardener/farmer/cultivator etc. One site I found said that if the function of the olive tree was to be a tree then you should let it be just that. Not something that I found entirely useful.
So in the end, I googled again for pictures of olive trees and tried my best to trim mine accordingly.
It has to be said that I am no Vidal Sassoon. I remember in the past trying to cut hair with clippers, and creating a kind of inverse mallet that no-one would be proud of. My rose trees are not exactly shaped into the beautiful balls of blooms that the garden centre promised when I bought them (in fact 2 are dead, and 2 of the others lean like a lamp post in a strong wind), and the hedge, which I attack with my electronic hedge clippers in a power tooled slasher film-type swinging motion, is thick, but with a perceptible wave along the top where a straight edge used to be.
So I started gingerly with the clippers - snipping off the smaller bits of branch crowding the middle of the tree. An olive, according to Pepe at the garden centre and Marco at the flower shop, is supposed to bear the form of a chalice or a wine glass - empty in the middle and bowl shaped around the edges.
The fact that I have always preferred wine glasses to be at least a little full did not deter me.
After plucking up a little more courage, I started to snip away at one particularly ambitious Jack-and-the-Beanstalk type frond that was almost as tall as Augustino's balcony.
But once that had come down, I realised that the other 2 similarly sized pieces looked a bit mad.
And so it started. Much to the amusement of all passers-by (it was church kicking-out time, so there were many!) I snipped and trimmed and tidied. Until I turned around and saw an enormous pile of leaves and branches behind me on the terrace.
So I stopped.
All in all, I dont think it looks too terrible - but was cheered also to see on the web another comment (from my friend who was so deep with the tree comment previously). Don't worry, he assures his readers, Olives are forgiving of even the most crudely attempted pruning.
Here's hoping!

No comments: