Saturday, April 05, 2008

Picnic in Florence



Saturday lunchtime and I headed to Luci's house in Antella for a picnic for her husband Mario's birthday.
It's not so easy to find the house at first, as its outside Florence, and I am still without a GPS device, which means I have to use the entirely disfunctional built-in version and the scribbled instructions from our call earlier in the day.
I didn't want to turn up empty-handed, and my recent workload has meant that the domestic goddess in me has taken early retirement, so I was in need of good cakes, and fast.
Luckily, it turns out that there are at least 3 good cakeshops between my house and Piazza Libertà which is a few blocks away. I wandered down the road and came across the Napolitan pasticceria.
Most cake shops that I have seen in Italy are really bars that also sell cakes and other things. The Napolitan shop is different, it is a tiny place, with the area for selling things much smaller than that for baking out the back.
As I entered, the lady serving said that I must be hungry (she had seen me outside talking on the phone for a while to Mum and Dad in Hong Kong.) As a result of my presumed hunger, she suggested a try a little pizza - deep and filled with capers and tomato - delicious.
Next up she offered me a small cheese straw, made of light pastry (texture, not calories!) and parmesan cheese.
Once we got to the third sample, it took quite some convincing that I really hadn't been that hungry to begin with.
I left clutching an apple tart, and some cheese straws, and made my way to Antella The picture shows the amazing view from the equally amazing garden, and Iacopo and Mario, just before the cork was popped on the chilled Bolinger.

No comments: