Thursday, July 10, 2008

Saving tourists with the SatNav

Finally, after months of getting perpetually lost around the streets of Florence, and needing to 'use the force' to figure out where to go, I have succumbed and purchased a SatNav.
It's already proved useful, and not just for me!
I went to dinner tonight in a new place, near the Porta Romana, and the voice coached me right to the place in which I could dump the car - mere paces from the door of the trattoria. But it was after dinner that it really came into its own.
As I was heading back home in the Panda, I saw an Indian family, in a people mover with Swiss plates. Even from within my car, I could see the stress as they attempted a 5 point turn in a narrow street. Someone got out and approached the window, pleading for directions to the Best Western.
I didn't even know there was a Best Western in Florence, but, a few touches on the screen later, we were off in a small procession, ending up at the hotel (near cascine, hidden away). The family were so happy the man came out and took my hand in both of his to say thank you. He told me that they had been driving around for 2 hours at that point and would never have found it without my help. (He was right - they didnt even have a map!)
From there I made my way home - knowing the way, but anyway following the signals. My only concern is that I will now lose the ability to exist without it - especially as teh satellite reception is rubbish here in Florence. But its pretty addictive stuff- and especially useful when it points out the location of the AutoVelox (speed cameras.

No comments: