Thursday, October 04, 2007

At Home in Hong Kong

I'm back in Hong Kong - and feeling in a way like I have never been away. I should start making a list of the things that I want to do here when I am away in Italy. Because when I come back, I slot right back into the old routine, and am sure that on my return to Italy once more I will be thinking about all the things I forgot to do!
One thing I always remember, because its one thing I really miss, is the sampling of various gastronomic delights that you simply can't get in Europe. In the first few days since Cathay Business Class dropped me safely off at Chek Lap Kok (and for free - brilliant!) my culinary safari has included Thai curry, Singapore noodles, Egyptian mezze, Cantonese Dim Sum, Japanese everything (the new Zuma - wow! - for the food, the location, the people AND the prices!) and a wonderful biryani at my favourite Indian restaurant.
I have seen a load of friends, and am meeting more still at the weekend. Yesterday I played the crocodile game with my lovely goddaughter Samantha, and Josh her gorgeous big brother, up at the Cricket Club, running around on the grass. Monday, National Day, Dad and I went for a walk in the country park, hills, reservoirs and birdsong - just lovely.
I have also done a huge list of things from my to-do list - and being in Italy makes me fully appreciate once again how easy life can be here in Asia - and especially in Hong Kong. I have put my laptop in for some love and attention (a full service and repair), replaced my lost sim card, ordered new glasses, solved banking issues and reactivated my club membership. All in the space of about 2 days! Hong Kong is wonderful for this stuff, life is so easy to organise!
The food, the shopping, the ease of life, and especially the friends are all things that I pine for. But overall, life in Italy is pretty great. And I am lucky enough to call Hong Kong home, so feel like I can always come back....
Another note for today as its Becky's birthday. I am very lucky as she flew down from Beijing to see me when I arrived a few days ago, so I had a chance to wish her a wonderful day
Which is lucky, because triestetrasmissione is banned in China!

No comments: