Friday, October 05, 2007

Conservation at last


Hong Kong is great at building new buildings - mega structures in glass and steel, with awe-inspiring views and spectacular light displays as soon as the sun sets.
This often means however that the traditional architecture is trashed.
Before I left for Italy, I was horrified to see the familiar relocation notices stapled onto the side of my favourite old Chinese building in Wanchai. Opposite the Southern Playground rubbish dump (ugh) this pawn shop and collection of random small shops had nothing special about it before, other than that it was old, and I always thought it had wonderful potential. My poor Mum had to listen to the 15 minute version of what they could do with the building other than knock it down - with a restaurant being my favourite choice.
I was absoultely thrilled to see yesterday that someone has in fact taken the time to restore this building. No longer nestled in next to the bird shop, so missing the tweeting and squawking that has been its soundtrack for years, it is somehow even more endearing as it is juxtaposed next to a steel and glass skyscraper.
Whoever listened to the pleas and saved it - thank you.

No comments: