Friday, May 11, 2007

Parking Problems

I am sure Riccardo Illy, of Illy Coffee fame, has never seen this blog. But as the head of the Friuli Venezia Giulia government, if he does happen to swing by at any time, I hope that he will see this plea to do something about the parking in Trieste. I don't have a car, so its not a direct problem for me, but going to and fro in Massi's car has made me realise the extent of the parking problems downtown.
There was a small piazza where we used to park, but they removed the parking a few weeks ago. There is resident's parking, but its difficult to get the permit - especially if you are in a multi-person flat, or only here for a short amount of time so you don't change your personal registration to Trieste.
Then there is blue line parking - where you have to buy a pay and display ticket. But not only are the prices steep (about E1 per 30 mins) there is little parking available. And today when I had to park Vlasta's car downtown and there is the G8 education summit, and the Generali offices around the corner, I see that they are once again playing with the parking, and have roped off big areas of the blue parking. It took ages to find a place to stick the car, and I totally irritated the lady in the car behind me as I tried to park Vlasta's Opel without the benefit of power steering.
It would not be so bad if the transport options were available to render the cars redundant. But some buses stop running at 8, others at 9, and the only other option is to go on foot...
It's complete chaos Mr Illy!

No comments: