Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A normal day

I thought it mght help to give an idea of a normal school day in Trieste.
I wake up at 615 if I am going for a run, if not, at 7. The first thing I do is turn on the Gaggia coffee machine to heat up. Breakfast is a bowl of muesli and a "Capp in B" (cappucino in a glass - "bicchiere" in Italian - its a very Trieste experience) which I make at home. I am perfecting the fluffing of the milk and will test this out on Vlasta on Friday morning, as she is staying over on Thursday night as she currently lives in Slovenia and I am having a party on Thursday night.
I walk to the number 11 bus stop, either the terminus at Piazza Tommoseo or near to the Piazza Borsa. Either way it is about 5 minutes walk. The bus trip takes around 20 minutes. If I get the 8am bus I listen to my ipod all the way as there are no colleagues on the bus. If I am running late - like this morning - I get the 830 bus and half the class get on on the way up the hill.
I have been coming in early as I can sit in the classroom and make the most of the wireless internet, whilst I am waiting for it to be fixed up at home. (Good news on this front! I just had a call from Fast Web and they will install the internet inside one week - AT LAST! But like everything here, I will not consider it done until I see it happen! )
Class starts at 9 sharp for 4 hours with a break at 11 for a coffee. At 1 we break for lunch and either start again at 2 or go to group study or individual work. Even if we finish at 1, I am typically in school until 4 or 5. Then I get the number 11 home and study at home for 3 hours or so (unless we are going out).
I cook in the evenings when I am not out, and then iron whilst watching the Italian telly to try to work on my Italian.
All in all, I am studying for about 8 hours a day minimum, including group work and personal study, so its certainly different from my undergraduate degree!

No comments: