Thursday, September 28, 2006

A tough day in Trieste

Its been a heck of a day today. I spent 3 hours on an accounting exercise last night (still not finished)
Today we had 4 hours of statistics and applied mathematics - an absolute killer. The lessons could have been in swahili for me! I realise that it is many many years since I studied math - and now I know why!! I spoke to the teacher in the break and the 2nd half was easier, and at a more reasonable pace.
After lunch (last night's leftovers, brought in a tupperware, and an apple from the market - so organised!) I picked up my school pc (heavier and MUCH less pretty than my Apple MacBook!)
Then the phone rang. It was my 'friend' Anna from the shipping company.
"Mrs Osborn?"
(close enough) "Yes?"
"I have some very bad news. There has been a big accident in the port in Naples and your container has been sfdnskfnkfgbvjfbnn...."
"Sorry - what??"
"So I don't know what I can tell you. But its not my fault."
"Sorry?? What has happened?" (voice rising gently....)
Anyway, the upshot was NOT that the container had been lost, but that rather there had been a problem that had caused the port to close. And the delivery would not happen as scheduled tomorrow morning.
Bad news. Mum and Dad have already arrived and are in Sarnano waiting for furniture etc.
I rang Dad. Mass annoyance all round.
Then, 2 hours later, the phone rang.
"Mrs Osborn?"
(still close enough) "Yes?"
"It's OK now, all will be there tomorrow."
I rang Dad. Mass resignation all round that we will believe the things arrive when we see them.
Then 4 hours of working on a group accounting exercise with the group.
Then shopping
Then home for the party at my house tonight.
I'm exhausted!!
Flavio from Brazil gets a special mention today, as when I was explaining the problem with the shipping, and wondering how I was going to manage alone with 91 boxes (its a lot I know) he said, no problem - we will all come and help you and get it done in no time. I am very lucky to have made friends like this after 3 weeks!
An update on the party will follow tomorrow.... I am off for a much needed glass of wine!

No comments: