Thursday, January 11, 2007

First no buses, now no cars

A curious piece of news today in Trieste - at least for a Hong Konger.
Due to concern about the pollution, there is a car ban.
Tonight cars are banned from crossing from one area to another, and from entering the city centre, between 4 and 7.
Tomorrow the ban is almost all day.
I have been amazed since I got here at how fresh the air is, certainly after Asia. The fog has been terrible for the last few days, and I am not sure if this is related to the ban - but the idea of having the power to tell cars not to drive for a day and a half to help control the pollution is an interesting one - a learning point for HK perhaps?
I have stopped buying the monthly bus pass, as Massimo drives me to and from school now. And the ban is not really an issue today as we will be here until at least 7 doing strategy projects for tomorrow.
I predict that the ban will have another effect. It is likely to alleviate the parking nightmare in the city. Finding a space to park in Trieste is like winning a lottery and remains a major gripe for the city's residents. I imagine that shortly after 7 this evening, the city will seem empty of cars for a while - or that there will be a major jam as traffic streams in to park...

No comments: