Monday, January 22, 2007

Tourist day in Trieste



Yesterday dawned foggy and a bit gloomy. But after a Saturday night mainly spent ironing and watching terrible TV, it was time to get out.
I got on the bus to Opicina, thinking that I would go for a run along the Napoleonic trail. But by the time the bus got there, the clouds were back to the low level of the last few days and I couldn't see anything. So back on the bus, and then down to Barcola. From there, I ran along the waterfront path to Miramare Castle, overlooking the headland. I had a stroll around the park (it was beautiful - not such a tough life being an Austrian emperor back in the day) and then decided that I would visit the castle itself.

Anyone that is heading this way, I suggest a trip to the castle - its 4Euros, but worth it. (Don't bother with the spoken guide unless you are a real history buff - there are panels inside explaining everything). The thing that really struck me was that, although there are cameras, there are no security guards around, leaving you with the feeling that you are really wandering around someone's house on your own. Its great - and I especially liked the oriental rooms, but maybe I am biased! Massimo told me this morning that it is considered unlucky to go with your partner there - because Massimiliano's love story was not so successful. I am not sure if that is only because he died in Mexico.... But anyway, if you aren't with your partner - go and see!
I ran and walked back to the flat, passing Hakan and Cesar from IMTL out for their own run - then went past the Verdi theatre. I saw that there was an opera on in 45 minutes, so grabbed a half price ticket.
The next three hours (after a quick shower and change of clothes - I learnt from the Mozart concert that people dress up to go to the theatre) went by with a large helping of Wagner. It was great to go, but my first Wagner experience, and I suspect one of my last. It was a bit heavy going for me.

No comments: