Friday, January 19, 2007

I hear the view is lovely from Carso

But I wouldn't really know. Yesterday the fog was so thick you couldn't see anything. Except for the man in flouro yellow who was jogging. We crawled along in Massimilliano's car, in flotilla. Somehow, thanks to Massimilliano's driving and Giulia's navigation we made it to Da Mario.
And it was well worth the journey. We spent a very enjoyable afternoon ensconsed in the restaurant, drinking wine from jugs on the table and tucking into delicious pasta. I have discovered a great option for the indecisive in restaurants (my family would tell you that this includes me!) Tris di primi (thanks to Ciccio for helping me with the spelling!) is a selection of 3 types of pasta, enabling you to effectively choose different options for your pasta course. Yesterday these options included Gnocchi con Cinghiale (wild boar potato dumplings), whole wheat ravioli with venison, and a tomato and mushroom pasta. We followed with potatoes in tecia (like mash potato with ham and onions - yum) and salad.
Then they let us loose on the grappa trolley. I have seen this a few times in the past, but normally the owner stays in the room. Yesterday we were in one room, the owners in the other. And with us were about 30 empty glasses and about 15 bottles of grappa - flavoured with everything from a strange green herb, to hazelnuts, to berries. We sampled a few, I enjoyed the nut one, and the berry one was nice but too sweet to drink too much of it.
And all for a cost of 22 Euros - can't be bad.

No comments: