Monday, December 10, 2007

Fine Family Dining in Bad Lippspringe



Sunday morning in Germany, and my uncle and his wife came over with my cousin, and my Grandad, and we all went out for lunch.
Lucy had booked lunch at the Fischerhutte, a lovely restaurant nearby to Bad Lippspringe where we sat in a conservatory and tucked into such delights as venison and dumplings.
Finally we also managed to have some of the German cake I had been promised before the trip.
My blackforest gateaux was absolutely worth the wait!
It was cold and wintery outside so, after a quick stop-off to pack my things, we went to Paderborn for a look at the town (very pretty) and the Christmas Market.



The Paderborn market was small, but nicely done and seemed to have more handicrafts and interesting items than perhaps the one in Dortmund, which was huge but in some alleys full of tat.
I managed to do a bit of shopping in Paderborn too, buying an incense lady from ex-East Germany. These are carved figures with lots of detail - mine likes travelling and has a coat with e a fur-trimmed collar and a map - into which you put incense. Once the incense is lit, the puffs of smoke come out of the mouth of the figure which is formed in a surprised 'O'. Its kitch but nice.
Following Paderborn, I began the journey back to Italy. It was the end of a great and varied weekend in Germany. I am still not a fan of the food or the wine, but I will be back for the rest!

No comments: