Friday, December 21, 2007

There's Florentines on the streets of Florence tonight

I guess they are all shopping, but the ratio of locals to tourists is definitely different from normal and its lovely to see!
It wasn't quite so lovely this morning when it took me an hour to drive to the city (all 3 kilometres) but tonight as I did my last minute (actually, my only!) shopping, it was super.
Amongst those that I saw, some people deserve a special mention.
To the Granny in the full-length fur I saw riding a moped and later in the town - i LOVE your bright red tights. I'm not sure I would ever be brave enough to wear them, (the poem says "When I am old, I shall wear purple", but there is no mention of red!) but good on you for the courage!
To the Sexy Santa in the fur trimmed mini dress standing outside the Disney Store - I SAW you sneaking a puff on your friend's cigarette in the doorway! I guess Santas of any variety are not supposed to smoke - especially if they work for Disney! - but it made me laugh!
To the man in the market who conspiratorily whispered to me the assurance that I was getting local prices, and not tourist ones, I'm not sure if it is true, but I thank him for it anyway!
Tonight the city belongs to the locals. Unfortunately so do the streets and the traffic is horrendous. I am going to stay here tonight and head off in the morning to Marche early. And before that I am going to get a few small things at the Florentine supporters shop - and I'm going on foot!

No comments: