Saturday, January 12, 2008

The best small car in Italy

I bought a car today!
After having spent more than enough money to buy a car on renting cars in the last few years on trips to Italy, I have finally bought one of my own.
I am now the proud owner of a Fiat Panda.
Its new(ish) and blue. I would have preferred another colour - I had heard that there was a grey one on offer - but I have been lucky to find - through friends in Marche - a reliable second-hand car salesman, who has managed to find me a car that has been used by the Fiat group themselves for less than a year, and is in almost perfect nick.
So almost new, I have a discount of almost one third on the price of a new car. It needs some love and attention, but will be mine to drive away in about 2 weeks.
So at the end of the day, the colour on offer was blue. So blue it is!
If I were to choose the car I really wanted, it would not be a Panda. A 500 would be super, or a mini, for small cars. Ideally a little sports car - a BMW, or something else small, but powerful. It's my dream to have something with a soft top, for motoring about in the long summer days.
But for now, other than the price, there are many advantages to the Panda. It's small, reliable, and relatively nippy for a little motor. It should be parkable in Florence, and is much less nickable (I hope!) than some of my other choices would be.
And if anything does go wrong with it, and I am hoping it won't!, there is a Fiat garage about every 2 blocks in Italy.
I have only owned one car before, when I was at University in the UK in the early part of the 90s.
And that car?
Was a Fiat!

No comments: