Monday, January 14, 2008

The Dark Heart of Italy

There is a book about the corruption in Italy that was a hit a few years ago.
I have bought it, but not finished it yet, and so still need to be enlightened about what constitutes Italy's Dark Heart.
Frequently on this blog, I write about the fabulous stuff. Maya Angelou, in one of my favourite quotes says "If you don;t like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your perspective."
So despite the occasional frustrations expressed 'sottovoce', I try to remain positive about my adopted nation.
Sometimes though, it is a little tough to do.
Tonight coming back from work too 4 hours and cost me Euros 41.20. Unfortunately that's not a typo, it really does say 4 hours.
To drive the car to the car hire place in the city centre took nearly an hour and 40 minutes. Meaning the car hire place was closed (it shuts the door at 7). So I had to park in the overnight parking. That's an extra 20 euros.
Then I walked to the nearest bus stop and stood in the cold and damp and waited.
And waited.
And waited.
Then I looked around a bit and saw the desperation written on the faces of my fellow would-be travellers. Turning around I saw it - the dreaded piece of white paper stuck to the bus stop with sellotape. "Your reasons are our reasons" said the heading - and went onto explain that there were many reasons why the bus drivers were on strike and that the public were at one with the drivers.
The long and the short of it was that it was at least an hour for the next bus.
So I went into the nearest place for pasta. And a glass of wine. And some water. That's another 20 euros.
Finally I went back outside, and, as is frequently the case post-strike (yes, I now recognise the routine, unfortunately!) two busses on the 11 and 17 routes were missing from the schedule.
At last, a number 17 rattled around the corner, and brought me back to the residence for 1 Euro 20. Some 4 hours after I left work.
I hate to contradict the bus-drivers, but I doubt very much if their sentiment matched mine this evening.

No comments: