Thursday, January 24, 2008

The fall of the government (again)

Tonight in the senate, the government fell due to a no confidence vote.
Prodi is out, Berlusconi just itching to get in.
I am watching to see what happens next. Whatever it is, I doubt it will be as unreal as the scenes that came from the chamber today, with politicians popping prosecco corks, and others fainting out cold as they were being harrangued by former colleagues. Its not great advertising for the country that's for sure.
One of my Italian friends told me that it is great news. When I asked for an explanation as to why this might be the case, he said. "This is the time that the government does the least harm to the Italian people." I said, puzzled, "But there is no government right now..." and to which he replied, "Exactly!"

No comments: