Saturday, January 12, 2008

Hunters

In the last few weeks with trips back and forward to Sarnano from Florence, I have become almost a weekly commuter.This means that I am now well aware of the route to get back to Marche, and the places to drop off the hire car in Florence.
This morning as I drove to my house I saw all the usual elements of winter life in this part of Italy.
This basically means hunters.
The streets were busy from Perugia onwards, with hunters' cars. These are relatively easy to spot as they either have a container for carcases or snarling dogs in the back, or are panda 4x4s painted in camouflage shades. The closer you get to Sarnano on the street of potatoes and onions that comes from Colfiorito in this direction, the more hunters you see, parked up along the roadside casually swinging guns getting ready for a day's shooting.
It's not just the cars that are camouflaged. The guy I saw in Colfiorito at my favourite coffee stop (they have Illy coffee there - and its my just-over-midway point before passing Lago di Caccamo and going through Caldarola to Sarnano, so its a well-timed break) was dressed head-to-toe in army green, and was sporting a waistcoat, which I suspect had been embroidered by his wife or mum, with a bird in flight and a hunter with a gun stitched on the back.
I couldn't help wishing that the bird in motion would manage to get away ok.

No comments: