Saturday, January 26, 2008

Marche by public transport

Today I went to Marche to get my car. I have never been to my house in anything other than a car, rented or borrowed. But there is a first time for everything, and, as I was driving back, I had to get there on public transport.
This was quite an experience. After Tuesday's horror on the trains, I was worried that everything would go to pot if a train was late.
The journey was as follows:-
0630 Bus number 17 to the station at Santa Maria Novella
0708 Train to Bologna, arrived at 0812
0905 Train to Ancona, arrived at 1100 (it was late)
1130 Train to Civitanova Marche, arrived at 1201
1206 Train to Macerata, arrived at 1234
1315 Bus to Amandola, arrived at 1430

So 8 hours after I left the residence, and after 7 different types of public transport, I arrived to collect the car. It is certainly the long way to do the trip, its only 3 1/2 hours in the car, but I was so happy that it all worked out with the connections that I didn't mind. Having the car to pick up at the other end was clearly a big help too!
There were a few fun things about the journey too.
The Eurostar trains on the first two routes are lovely. Clean, spacious and quiet. (Especially if you pay the few Euros extra and go in First Class!) There is also power on the trains, so I plugged in the laptop, and watched Gorky Park on DVD to pass the time.
The train from Ancona to Civitanova Marche hugs the Adriatic Coast, and the views out of the window are of endless sea, stretching to the horizon - just beautiful.
The train from Civitanova Marche was tiny - two small carriages and the engine sounded like something from a 3-wheeled Ape.
I arrived at the station in Macerata, and my main doubt was how to reach the bus station. Despite endless attempts at Via Michelin and Google Maps, there was no record of either the station or the bus station in Macerata. I waited in line at the ticket desk (behind the Marchegiana guy, who was sharing his travel plans to Rome with the station attendant - "Ooo, it's been years since I went, I am not sure about the trip, I hear Rome has changed a lot, it's a long way from here, there are a lot of trains to take etc etc etc) and when it was finally my turn, I asked for directions to the bus station.
The guy started to pull oh-goodness-it's-a-long-way faces, and then asked me about the speed at which I walk. Not being sure how to reply, he asked me again, in that international gesture of communication - the same question, same words, just slower and louder! In the end we determined it was at least a 20 minute walk.
Leaving the station, I saw a cab, but as I was about to jump in, someone else got into the front seat. It was the Roman traveller!
Seeing me, he unwound the window, and asked if I was looking for the cab. When he found out where I was going, he asked the cabbie if we could drop me off first. Then they told me to jump in and they would take me to catch my bus.
I figured this was some kind of cab share arrangement - in pursuit of ecology - but when I asked about the price when we arrived they said - oh no, we were passing anyway, we are just giving you a lift! Have a good day, and it was nice to meet you! That's Marche for you!
I persuaded the bus driver to drop me off near to the garage, and then went to peer in the glass doors. There was the car, glistening and ready to go.... but Giovanni, the owner of the garage was no-where in sight. I rang his mobile and he said that there was no way he could be there now, he had had to work late that morning, so was late going home for his lunch - he would be back at 1530.
I had in fact, been up since 0530, and had been on the road 8 hours, but not to worry! I went to the nearby bar for a spot of lunch.
In the end I drove away in the car at 1630. It was worth the journey, and the wait!

No comments: