Monday, October 23, 2006

Che bella giornata!


Sunday we woke to brilliant sunshine. The postponed trip from the day before to the Postjama Jama was once again postponed as we needed to be outside to make the most of the glorious weather. Its a good job that the sun was shining because there were a few jaded people after the night before.
At 11 our flotilla of cars left Ljubljana and headed for Bled. At Easter, when I was there with Mum and Dad i was totally underwhelmed - partly due to the busloads of German pensioners that were swamping the place.
This time there were fewer people, and with the leaves turning red and gold, and the last of the summer sunshine the lake looked stupendous.

We jumped into row boats and paddled out to the island in the lake where there is a church that has a bell that you can ring 3 times for luck. I thought that it might be more lucky for me to sit outside and drink a bitter lemon in the sunshine. So that's what I did.
We rowed back with Hakan at the helm taking a slightly indirect route to the shore. The old couple in charge of the boats were in hysterics as we tried to navigate in and park the boat!
It was a slow day, on true Sunday pace. Lunch was another lengthy affair and an education - again from Chris from Kansas, who has lived in Trieste for a long time and is my principle tour advisor for the region - with my first try of Ljubljanska - basically pork cordon bleu - YUM!
There was food left over, giving me another opportunity to learn. This time that there are no doggy bags in Slovenia. I asked why not and Vlasta told me it was because there are dogs instead!

No comments: