Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Secondary School Stress

We were laughing last night about how the stresses in our lives have now changed. From being concerned about client demands, cash flow, new business, and international issues, the major concerns now are making it to class on time, whether or not we have finished our homework, and whether we are prepared for the exams ahead. It sometimes feels a little regressive - like we are back at secondary school!
That said, some of the topics are really interesting.
I have uncovered a secret about myself already - a well-hidden love of economics! I guess this isn't so strange as I have really enjoyed writing press releases and other materials for The Economist over the last year, but I never knew that I would enjoy the subject so much. Luca has a theory that it is pretty close to marketing, and that may be why I enjoy it. I think he might be onto something - compared to the other subjects we are studying right now, there are a lot less numbers in Economics. The lecturer is also very dynamic, and great at relating things back to the real world (even if there is a slightly-too-frequent detour to the oil prices every lesson).
I am not sure if this interest will extend beyond the exams (in about 2 weeks time) but at the moment, Economics lectures (about 8 hours a week) are a real pleasure.
Something that cannot be said for accounting.

No comments: