Friday, October 13, 2006

The next week at MIB

The pressure is definitely building here.
We have spent the last 2 days studying in groups until the evening - trying to get to grips with balance sheets and their analysis, statistical variations and the time value of money. (This latter proved difficult to do as I had managed to turn off the equals sign on my new financial calculator and so could not use it for anything. I have since poured over the book and we are now back in business, but it made for a stressful morning yesterday!)
Next week there are full day lectures on Strategy (a new topic for us and FINALLY one that I am already familiar with. Porter of 5 Forces fame feels like an old friend compared to some of the stuff we have been doing!) on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday night we have a first meeting with our new Italian teacher, to assess the level of the class. Wednesday there are the 3 exams, Statistics and Mathematics first, Economics between coffee and lunch and finishing with accounting after lunch. Wednesday night we have a football game then are out on the town celebrating the end of the exams.
Thursday we have another new subject - International Analysis and Politics - supposedly the light relief in the calendar over the next few months. I have a lunch appointment with a girl from another course who is doing a project connected with Hong Kong and needs to know about the logistics. Then I have a meeting with the personal development team in the afternoon and volleyball in the evening.
Friday we are back in the wonderful world of statistics and applied mathematics.
When we don't have classes, we are all studying - either individually or in groups - and then going home to study some more. Some of my colleagues are hitting the books until gone 2am, but not me - maybe I am getting old but I feel like I need sleep more than that. My economics lecturer says this is a cost benefit situation (like everything else.) At which point, I should really get back to the books.
It's going to be a long weekend, and one, I suspect, punctuated by text messages of varying levels of panic from my compatriots here.
And from me to them.

No comments: