Sunday, July 01, 2007

10 years on

It is 10 years since the Hong Kong Handover, one of those historical moments that works like a bookmark, so that you can remember what you were doing when.... and then see how life has changed since!
The first 9 years after the handover was not so very far removed from June 30 / July 1st 1997. I was at a party with friends on the Peak on the 30th, and another one, on the 1st. We spent a lot of time watching the big screens to see the change of the flags, and the departure of the Britannica, and so the Pattens and Prince Charles.
And it was absolutely chucking it down with rain.
Today by contrast dawned once again bright and sunny, and Vlasta (who is here for the weekend from Munich - Monaco for Italian readers!) and I went to pick up Massi and head for the hills. We went to a beautiful spot first of all, with a church nestling on the crest of a hill to look at the view of the valley all around a bit, but the access has been completely closed by the monks who live in the 'spiritual house' nearby. The view must be amazing, no wonder they don't want to share it!
After this a quick dash to a place near to Greve-in-Chianti and a lovely long lunch, catching up on Vlasta's news, and planning the visit of our other MBAers who should be here in a few weeks time.
I am happy that I can look back and see that the last 10 years have, for me, moved in the right direction - I am loving living in Italy. There are many things about life here that really suit me.
But apologies to Florence, and maybe I'm biased, but there is honestly no fireworks show on earth like the ones over Victoria Harbour in Hong Kong. With the world watching on TV and the internet, HK did itself proud at its 10 year party.
I wonder where the lead up to the next 10 year anniversary will take me...

No comments: