Wednesday, July 18, 2007

I'm quiet in Italian

Those that know me, know that I speak a lot. Really. But yesterday the meeting I attended was all in Italian and for me it was a novel experience.
My Italian has come on leaps and bounds since I have been here in Italy, and accents aside (they sometimes make it tough to understand what is being said - as in any language!) I can now more or less understand everything. And if not all the words, then at least the gist of what is under discussion.
But reflecting on yesterday's meeting I notice that I am much much quieter in Italian than in English. Not in terms of volume (although that too I think!) but in terms of what I say.
It really made me think about all of my colleagues at MIB for whom English is not a first language. I have a lot of opinions about things, but once I have understood the conversation, and translated back in my head the bits I don't understand, I find myself sometimes unable to say what I think in Italian.
This will come with time I am sure - after all I have only been learning Italian for a year properly. But for now, a huge hats off to all of those folk on my course, and elsewhere, who every day speak in a language at work that is not their first. It's an amazing achievement. And doing an MBA or a job in a second language is something I think you can only appreciate when you are in the middle of doing it.
I can't wait for the day - hopefully soon - when I can convey things in Italian in the way that I can in English.
But maybe, for my friends at least, the Italian peace and quiet is nice for now!

No comments: