Saturday, November 24, 2007

25 hours of Florentine Culture

This weekend, I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to be here in Florence. As it turns out, I am still here. So with no plans and 2 1/2 long days stretching ahead of me, I had to figure out what to do.
On Fridays I don't eat lunch in Sesto. As we finish early there is no real food, only chemical sandwiches, the selection of which at the moment leaves me cold. The tuna mayo one is not my thing, although its way closer to my taste than the cold wurstel... (frankfurter or hot dog sausage)
So when I finally left the office, I went into the city to ino - still the best paninis in town that I have found. For 6 Euros, I had a panino with home-baked bread, hand-sliced ham, the freshest pecorino and tomatoes, with a layer of olive paste. If you eat in, perched on one of the high stools at the bar, you are given a free glass of wine to sip as you watch the world go by. When I went to pay, I was also given a morsel of the most wicked chocolate tart thing - like a cross between a truffle and a chocolate shortbread, I ate my sample with the provided toothpick - but it was so rich I didn't need any more than a mouthful!
Although it was dark by the time I left, and it felt like late evening, it was, in reality only 630. So I decided that I should do something before coming back to the residence.
Walking past the Palazzo Strozzi, I saw the signs for Contro Moda - an exhibition of designer clothes from the permanent exhibition at the LA museum. So decided to go in for a look.
The woman at the ticket desk was the person that sold it to me. Thinking 10 euros was a bit much to go in, she said to me, "But, you are not a tourist, you live in Florence, right?" Even my hesitation, (I still have not got used to the fact that I actually live here) did not dissuade her. "Because as a resident, it's only 8 euros 50" she added.
Well, a bargain then! I handed over the cash, dumped my coat in the cloakroom and went upstairs.
Some of the pieces were beautiful - the Pucci dress from the 70s, the Dior from 1959 and a white evening dress from the 50s with hand stiched minisule pleats, that draped like a grecian goddess. But there did seem to be a heck of a lot of Yohji Yamamoto. I think he's clever, although its not really my taste, but the thing is that in HK the clothes are quite common.
When I left I couldn't help feeling a bit like I had paid my money to get a view of what I could have seen in a shop in HK.
But another discovery from Friday night was the Caffe' Giacosa which was opening a new branch inside the inner courtyard of the Strozzi Palace. When I know some people, it would be a lovely place to go for a drink.
Tonight, another cultural outing, this time to see the ballet Giselle at the Teatro Verdi. Put on by the Tuscan Orchestra, with dancers from Russia, it was spectacular - especially the second act when they are in the graveyard. The male lead could certainly jump!
And the guy sitting next to me, in the black velvet morning coat, with purple silk lining and a purple silk scarf, honestly looked like he should be standing on one of the plinths in Contro Moda.

No comments: