Monday, November 12, 2007

Short trip, long journey

This morning I arrived at Campo di Marte station to realise I had just missed the 0749 train to work. So I lingered about, waiting for the 0814.
Then I saw 3 letters that I may well come to dread - SOP.
No idea what they actually stand for, but the meaning was clear. The 814 wasn't coming.
With all the confidence of a quasi local, I figured if I could get to Santa Maria Novella - the main station in Florence - that there must be another train from there to Castello, where the office is.
Indeed there was - but not until 0847 - heading for Pistoia.
Luckily, it was a super-swanky high-speed number - with 2 levels - the first time I have been upstairs on a train since I was in France coming back from skiing on crutches with damaged tendons and ligaments in my knee. This time it was a whole lot easier to climb the stairs - even with the high-heeled boots I was wearing to contend with! In the end I got to work at 0907 - only about 1 hour and 37 minutes after I had left the residence.
I am saving up for a car.....

No comments: