Friday, November 09, 2007

And I thought it was only the English that sat on the floor in cities!

Tonight I was out near San Ambrodgio - a lovely area on Saturday mornings with the sun shining and the fruit stalls groaning with the freshest produce around. At night though, it can be a little shady to say the least.
So I was a little surprised, just around the corner from the market, in a fairly icky alley, to see 3 Italian girls sitting on the pavement.
I have always thought this was a very English thing. I never fail to be astonished at the way that my countrymen just lie like lizards on the pavement, benches etc of many cities around the world when they see the first rays of sunshine. But given that it was kind of dark, and very cold, I reasoned that the reason for the pause must be something else. Perhaps a sit-in protest at something.
As I walked on though, I turned back and saw that all 3 girls had shiny new-ish looking MacBooks. Clearly there was an internet connection going begging.
Currently, in the residence, I have wireless internet. But who knows, if and when I find an apartment of my own, maybe I too will have to resort to sitting on the pavement with my laptop to write this blog.
Let's hope not!

No comments: