Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Germany calling



My big sister is in Germany - up in the almost North, near Holland (according to my map). She and her hubby moved there in September, and we have been talking for ages about me going to see them. In about 10 days time, it turns out, my Mum will be there too, and my Grandad and uncle and his family. So its time for the family pre-Christmas get-together in the land of sausages, sauerkraut and beer.
Longer term readers will know that I am not a big fan of German food. (Except for Black Forest Gateaux - and who doesn't love that?) But the heaviness of it and the boiled-sausage, pickles and sauerkraut thing (ok, its another pickle, but deserves its own special mention!) just doesn't do it for me.
I am, however, a complete sucker for all things Christmassy. Not the religious stuff, but show me a red and gold bauble, some fairy lights and a wooden snowflake and I am a happy girl. So the news that the German Christmas market was in town from Heidelberg was more than enough to make me head downtown after work today.
In true winter mode - perhaps choreographed to add to the Christmas sensation, it was freezing, and I decided that some warm grub might just be the thing as I looked around the market.
I stopped first of all at the carousel. On closer inspection there were no plumed horses (nor fire engines, nor space ships), but instead, a few bar tables and stools. It had been converted into a bar, so I went in for a Vin Brulee (mulled wine) to warm up.
Feeling much cosier, I had a quick stroll around the market, and bought some bread. But in light of the prices and the fact that in 10 days I will be experiencing the real German Christmas retail experience, I didn't indulge. Although there were a pair of gold sprayed sparkly reindeer antlers with my name on them...
It was, by now, freezing again, so I checked out the food stall. And opted for the "wurstel alla griglia - con pane." Sounds posh, I know, but its a hot dog, pure and simple.
Still, it was warm and filling, and thankfully, the nice stallholder agreed to hold off the kraut!

No comments: