Sunday, November 25, 2007

The loneliness of the (almost) long-distance runner


Today was the Florence Marathon. The 42 kilometres involved means that runners complete a figure of 8 through the city - from Piazzale Michaelangelo at the start, round the Cascine park, a few times along the Lungarno (both sides of the river) before ending up at the Piazza Santa Croce for the big finish.
The half-way point of the marathon is here at Campo di Marte - near to the residence - and the Florentine football stadium. So after a much needed cappucino over the road (thanks to the church bells at 8 and my neighbour upstairs who donned her stilettos at around 7.05am I didn't get my planned lie-in) I went out to see the race pass by.
I missed the Kenyans - too fast for me - for everyone I think! - but I was in time to see the leading lady of the marathon run past.
Better still she was a red-headed Italian with the marathon number F1 (I guess female 1, but it might have been a speed reference!)
I later saw her cross the line at Santa Croce.
But not much later it has to be said - she ran the entire 42 kilometres in just over 2 and a half hours - wow! I saw her on the news before I left the house, she said her father had died, so she thinks of him the whole way through every race, and the time just passes by with the kilometres. Truly amazing.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for the guy from Cardiff that I met near Campo di Marte station. From Cardiff, he had come here especially for the race, aiming for a time of 2 hours 30, he had dropped out at the 13 kilometre mark, unable to carry on. It's a problem with the marathon here that the first 3 kilometres are downhill, so sometimes people get the pace wrong at the beginning. (Thanks to Lucia's hubby, Mario, taking part in his first marathon today, for the explanation). The Cardiff guy told me that he came especially for the race - I felt terrible for him - he looked like he was going to cry....

It took me a while to realise that the balloon guys were marking the time - the yellow balloons had number on them - so the first one I saw was marking the 3 hours bunch. I wonder how short the straw has to be before you are nominated as the balloon carrier?
Also not having the best day was this Florentine lady, coming back from Esselunga with her shopping and most inconvenienced that, although the lights for pedestrians were green, shw could not cross Viale Dei Mille (Avenue of the 1000s) as there were runners in her way!

No comments: