Tuesday, November 06, 2007

A (nice?) surprise

So I am back at work after the longest vacation I have ever had - 6 weeks was wonderful - felt in some ways like a lifetime and in others like it zipped by. Literally gardening leave!
Yesterday though, it was back to paid employment - and my bank manager would say about time too!
No-one knew that I was coming back to the company, but it was kind of nice to see people looking surprised - and I hope happy! - to see me! It was a lovely welcome back, and I hope that I can see the same smiles having been back at work for a while! I might otherwise have felt alone here, but the welcome at work has been so warm, that I don't yet feel lonely at all. I know it is only day 2 - but here's hoping!
Like anything, it takes a while to get settled, especially as I need to start everything again - another new start in life. The last time I upped sticks and moved to start a-new it was from Hong Kong to Trieste to do my MBA - without a doubt the best year of my life to-date! Let's hope that this change works out as well!
I have grand plans now I am starting my life again in Florence. I obviously want to make a good impression at work, but also need to find an apartment (there is a lovely loft place online - which might have my name on it!), buy a car, join a gym, make friends - the list goes on and on!
One of the other things that I would love to do is a sommelier course. I was discussing this with Rosario at work today. He tells me that here in Tuscany the course is heavily subsidised by the regional government and the Tuscan wine companies - so is only Euros 250 as opposed to almost 5 times that unsubsidised. He is keen to join too - so who knows - company dinners in future could be full of wine bores!
Other initiatives include starting a choral goup with Lucia, a visit to the Milian crowd in a couple of weeks, and potentially a Christmas party at my house in early December. Ale's party is in December, and my parents are likely Europe-bound at some stage. My sister is also now in Germany, so I am checking out flights as well - there should be enough fodder for the blog at any rate!

No comments: