Sunday, June 24, 2007

Patriotism goes up in smoke


Today I spent the whole day walking around the city, trying to get myself oriented with Florence. My poor feet are killing me, but it was nice to spend a day out and about, especially the 20 minutes sitting outside the Piazza Pitti reading my book and resting! I have been across the Arno many times, and walked up to Piazzale Michaelangelo - with its amazing view down on the city. And seen Piazza de la Signoria at almost hourly intervals. I will eventually understand how it all fits together...


Tonight were the annual fireworks over the Arno for the Festa di San Giovanni - Florence's patron saint. Slow to start, they finished well, and there were cheers all around when the red, white and green stripes exploded in the air, only equalled perhaps by the cheers when there was a large purple explosion. (For the uninitiated, purple is the colour of the Florence football team!).

At the end - after 45 minutes - a vigorous round of applause, then the masses headed for the buses to get home.
PS Thanks to the anonymous reader who corrected me on the Saint's name - I have duly corrected it - apologies!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

San Giovanni, please!