Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Smelling the air (again)

I wrote about the aromas in Florence once before, when we all went to Chiantishire last week. But its amazing, downtown, really there are 2 all-pervading smells - meat on a grill, and the occasional waft of jasmine, which is currently in bloom and, especially in my neighbourhood, is perceivable every now and again, and is beautiful and always unexpected.
Tonight, after a quick aperitivo in new-Nanut (no pizza, olive ascolane, peanuts or anything else - come back Portizza!) Massi and I got the munchies so headed for a place he found on the internet, that is famous for steaks.
Reminiscent of an old butchers, with white tiles half way up the walls, it was clear what we wanted before we went in - and even before we smelt the indoor barbeque from the kitchen at the back (the smoke and the smells reminded me of a trip to Tokyo with my friend Becky 2 years ago when we ate yakitori kebabs under the train bridge with the locals.)
The waiter, friendly but tired, said we didn't have long to order as they were soon closing. Luckily we didn't need long! 2 steaks, 2 salads and a half litre of the house wine later we were satisfied and satiated.
I would write the name of the place but a) I have no idea what it is and b) I think it is a bit like the Lonely Planet theory. The less you write, the less people know, the better it is, the more chance you have of getting in the next time!
So for those that know me, ask about the location of the secret steak house (and I will ask Massi - my sense of direction is still pretty bad!) For anyone else reading, just know that there are still places a little bit hidden away downtown where you can have the full Tuscan culinary experience - and - as Massi found it on the web, maybe you will too!

No comments: