Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Runners beware of Google Map!

I owe a debt to Google map. I have been running near the residence where I am staying, but my lungs are struggling a bit with the fumes from the cars chugging past.
So tonight I decided to look at Google Map - and the satellite picture - to see whether I could find a spot of green to head for.
Triumphant, I pulled on my trainers and headed out the door at a steady pace, humming along to my favourite running tunes (Black Eyed Peas, Monkey Business - I try to do the whole album, which means I am out for an hour more or less).
I was delighted to breathe the fresh air as I turned up an almost country lane and into the domain of the gated mansion, in some cases, double gates! The scenery was gorgeous, but as I headed for Fiesole, the hills started to bite a bit.
I realised when I was half way up that what looks flat on Google Map (or flat-ish) can in fact be a heck of a climb when you are pounding the pavement in your Reeboks!
Still, it certainly beats running next to the traffic, and I will go out that way again - it must be easier the second time around!

No comments: