Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Asian foodfest

This week has been a culinary adventure so far.
I love Italian food, but honestly, there is not as much variety as I am used to. Maybe its just that I have grown up on Asian food, but I find myself craving dim sum at yum cha on a Sunday morning. And a lamb biryani. And Tom Yum soup. And vietnamese spring rolls. And the list goes on....
So this week, as there is a heap of stress with the thesis deadline thundering down upon us, and the work deadlines too, I decided it was time to satisfy an Asian culinary craving.
Sunday night I made Chicken Red Curry for Marina and Flavio, who was here for the weekend. At the end of the meal Marina scraped the last drops onto a plate to eat later, so I guess that's a favourable rating!
For lunch today I was offered rabbit with olives. The chef told me it was great and when I turned it down he said "Why, is it too heavy?" to which I replied.... "errr... no.... its too rabbit!"
So tonight the Asian experience continued with sushi for aperitivi in Sushi Mania - combined with green tea before we moved on for dinner. We tried the Chinese restaurant on Viale Strozzi - Ristorante Osir (rice backwards in Italian). Its a little Italianised, but the waitress from Shanghai nearly fell over when we left and Jenny said thank you to her in Mandarin! She made the girl's night.
And mine, because the dinner was Jenny's treat - and meant the girls got to try dim sum at last!
Tomorrow its back to pasta - a least for one day!

No comments: