Thursday, August 16, 2007

The earth moved

The other night I woke up with a fright at 4 am thinking I had had a bad dream. It felt as though I was on a plane in the middle of some rough air, but wasn't sure whether it was a dream or not.
Then this morning when I was awake and reading a book at 0230am, I heard a loud rumble, like a truck passing (thanks for the analogy Aeidin!). The bed shook like one of those vibrating machines they advertise on the telly that are supposed to help you lose weight, and the old Chinese wardrobe rattled horribly. I thought it was a rare and unsettling experience, but everyone I have told about it so far has said, 'oh, yeah, the last time I felt one was....' So it turns out that while it was unsettling, it is far from rare. It didn't even make the local paper!

1 comment:

Hong Kong Merretts said...

Bumped into your mum today. Had a lovely chat. Have finally updated my blog a little. You have to take a look at our silly new house in Beijing. Been in Hong Kong all week, but flying back tomorrow night. Missing you! Becky