Thursday, August 09, 2007

Missing in action

I decided that the time had come with the thesis to get some books and really crack on with the work. So I went to Amazon, searched a bit, and parted with some hard earned euros for the books - and stumped up almost the same amount again for 'priority express' - in other words, DHL, to deliver the parcel.
I almost jumped on the courier man that pulled up outside the apartment today in my eagerness to get to the contents of the parcel. Unfortunately, his parcel was for someone else....
So now I am back in the internet cafe (yes, Terence, back in the 90's at best!!) and checking the status of the parcel online.
Amazon write confidently 'Dispatched!' Expected arrival 8th August.... errr... yesterday. I have been waiting in for 2 days for it so far.
So I made my way to the DHL website. They tell me the parcel is in Bergamo in the warehouse, waiting for the customer (me) to arrange delivery. And there was me thinking that a) I had and b) they were the delivery company.
Facing off rising panic that the 50 Euro books will never arrive, I dialled the help desk number. Only to be told that they had, in fact, closed some 3 minutes previously. But that I would nonetheless be charged for the call at a premium rate for using my mobile to ring.... Which I will need to do once again in the morning and hopefully this time be able to speak to a human being and find out why, when I am in Sarnano, and the dispatch is in Ancona, the books are collecting dust in Bergamo.
I suspect that this won't be reason enough to get an extension on the thesis, (24 days and counting).
Ah well, there is always the work I have to do for the office to fill my time!
Benissimo...

No comments: