Thursday, August 30, 2007

Italian time?

Puctuality is one of the things that makes a normally small cultural gap seem like a yawning chasm. I am no poster gal for puncuality, being the least punctual certainly in the social arena of many of my English friends, and certainly hold that title in my immediate family, which drives my Dad for one, completely nuts.
But in italy, I am pretty much on time. Or at least in the zone. Especially when it comes to work meetings.
Which made the 75 minute wait for someone with whom I had a meeting today pretty much intolerable. 5 minutes, 10, no problem. 15 is pushing it. But 75! And not even a phone call - or an apology at the end - when finally the guy arrived.
Sometimes the cultural gap seems wide. And sometimes I think it has absolutely diddly squat to do with culture! its just people... Especially because the other guy that had to wait with me also waited 75 minutes. And he was also pretty peeved. And he's Italian too!

No comments: