Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Internet... The Saga Continues

Long time readers will know about my struggles with (not-so) FastWeb. (An update for you - it is now supposed to be being connected in Sarnano -due August 7th, I've heard nothing and I am not holding my breath!)
So after a year without home internet, it has seemed like a real luxury having internet at the residence in Florence.
Until it stopped working last week - just when we needed it the most.
It was finally fixed on Friday, then crashed again Saturday - not to be seen again until tonight.
And now the wireless is dead, so I am sitting very close to the window typing this on the sofa, as its the only place the cable will reach.
But at this stage in the thesis game, I would sit out in the carpark outside if the internet would actually work! Its somehow worse to lose it once you have had it than it is not to have it at all!
Anyway, here's hoping that we can now sustain the connection at least until Monday midnight when the thesis is due.
It reminds me of listening to the Chief of Karnataka state in India talking about the completion date of the new Bangalore airport at a conference. (He had just come from the groundbreaking ceremony).
He said "So I hope in a few years when you come here, you will be landing at a beautiful new international airport"
"God willing"
"With the kindness of Allah"
"And fortune from Buddha"
"And with the luck of Krishna..."
He made me smile at the time, and now I just think its plain smart to call on whoever and whatever can help with a big challenge.
I am also trying the mantra from the book Lucia at work lent me yesterday. Called re-think, its author, Nigel, says that when faced with something you are not enjoying you just need to try to think that it is interesting and a good way to spend your time.
So I am now repeating to myself that writing an MBA thesis, whilst working full time in a challenging job in a foreign environment is a joy.
Whilst simultaneously calling on every major and minor deity I can think of!
But in case that fails, I am getting straight back to it now!

No comments: