Saturday, August 11, 2007

DHL and Drummers

I remember the DHL ads from the TV in Hong Kong, as the man in the van fought through the markets, with the clued-in following in his wake, knowing that he knew the streets and the best way to get to his destination – irrespective of anything as inconvenient as a bustling market in his way.
I guess the DHL guy who came yesterday with the books has not done the market-navigation part of the training yet. He rang me, laughing, to say that it would in fact be infinitely better if I could come to the Piazza and collect the parcel myself. He was waiting in his van outside the Farmacia. And if I could be there in 5 minutes that would be great, ‘cos he was in a bit of a hurry.
I tried to give him directions to the house from the piazza (not difficult) and he was having none of it. But in need of the parcel, who was I to argue. 5 minutes later I was in the piazza, and had been thinking that maybe if he had come from Ancona and didn’t have a GPS system, he might not know my road. I was a little surprised to see the San Ginesio van – signifying that he had come from all of – oh – 2 valleys away, and likely knew the road all too well. Still, he enjoyed the delivery experience, laughing continuously throughout – and at least I have the books now – and have even already read one.
The evening performance of the Echoes of War was excellent – noisy and dramatic, and all credit to the guys (and 2 gals!) in the drummer troop. The fireworks at the end of the show seemed to surprise all, and spurred on a regimented big step forward from the drummers! (They were good the fireworks, but nothing quite beats the fireworks from a few years ago, during the spinning section of the gym display, when a rocket hit the branch of the tree it was being fired from, and came careening in a straight line towards the collection of elderly gentlemen in the front row – prime position for salivating at the women in leotards on stage. Hilarious scenes followed!)





Anyway, back to the drummers, I remain intrigued as to whether they are buying their medieval-looking tights from a costume shop with one blue leg and one white leg, whether they have to team up with a colleague, one buys blue, the other white and they share that way, or, in fact, given the popularity of the drummers at this time of the year, they have 2 sets of tights. If I see them tonight at the Spanish and Mexican Flamenco Show in the main Piazza, I will try to check if the legs that were white last night, are today blue, and vice versa.

No comments: